The Foundation supported and managed the then Sir John Cass School in 1710 but has remained highly involved with the development of English education over the centuries and has expanded resulting in links with seven institutions all bearing Sir John Cass’s name. These institutions represent all stages of education, from infants to university level and serve the needs of the young people of London as per Sir John Cass’s wishes.
Each of the “Cass Institutions”, with the exception of the original Sir John Cass School, have been wholly or jointly established by the Foundation. In terms of legalities, each organisation is separately managed and all are in the State maintained sector.
The Seven Cass Institutions…
Sir John Cass’s Foundation Primary School
In 1710 Sir John Cass established an independent all age school in Aldgate, having already generously donated funds to the local parochial school. Sir John Cass and his wife Lady Elizabeth Cass supported the school until their deaths in 1718 and 1732 respectively, the school thereafter closing a number of times until the Foundation was established in 1748.
Sir John Cass’s Foundation managed the school and paid for all expenses until 1896 when the Government provided funds to meet part of the running costs. The Foundation bore all of the capital costs in providing for a new school building, which opened on its current site in 1909.
The School became Voluntary Aided in 1951 and a primary school in 1966. The Foundation is the Sole Trustee of the School and is its Voluntary Aiding Body. It owns the freehold of the site and provides on going support to the school in the form of rent-free accommodation, building and fine art insurance, hardship grants, support for ad hoc items such as security equipment, mini buses etc and curriculum enhancing projects. The School and nursery has 240 pupils on its roll and has been rated as Outstanding by OFSTED since 2008.
The Foundation was delighted to develop the relationship between the Hampshire and Cass Foundation Mountain Centre and the Sir John Cass’s Foundation Primary School. The Foundation also awarded a grant for the school to visit the Mountain Centre in April 2016, a video of their trip can be seen below.
In 2016 the Foundation awarded a grant for the Making learning real project that will equip classrooms with the latest technology to enable teachers and children to utilise IT purposefully and to enhance the learning experience for every child. The grant will enable the school to install the latest interactive whiteboard technology, high specification teaching walls and visualisers to display children’s work, drawing and other documents in real time.
Sir John Cass’s Foundation and Red Coat Church of England Secondary School
Sir John Cass’s Foundation, along with the Department of Education and the London County Council contributed towards the establishment of Sir John Cass’s Foundation & Red Coat Church of England Secondary School which opened in Stepney in 1966.
The Foundation was the “Proposer of the school” to the Department of Education, as the Sole Trustee and Voluntary Aiding Body. It owns the freehold of the school site and is represented on its Board of Governors. A copy of the Trust Deed can be seen by clicking here.
Significant funding is provided by the Foundation to the school, both directly and indirectly such as rent free accommodation and also makes grants towards major projects, such as a new sixth form block and one off projects such as the tercentenary events in 2010.
In 2011 the Foundation brokered a relationship between the Secondary School and an organisation called Mosaic which mostly works with the Islamic community. The project which was funded by the Foundation provided mentoring for disadvantaged young people to raise aspirations and attainment. The programme was part of the Prince’s Seeing is Believing initiative. To find out more click here.
In 2011 the Foundation supported the Secondary School to access the Momentum Youth Development project. The Momentum project was an innovative personal development programme for pupils focusing on intercultural learning and enterprise. It aimed to promote effective leadership and strengthen relationships with local communities. Over a two year period, 25 participants attended three residential courses with pupils from international partner schools.
In 2015 the Foundation invited the Secondary School to participate in a unique £1 million mentoring project run by the Cass Business School. The five year project combining individual mentoring and group coaching delivered by undergraduates to pupils aged 14-18. The project aims to boost academic attainment, prepare pupils for higher education and support transition to the world of work. Priority is given to pupils eligible for Pupil Premium support, with a focus on numeracy and literacy – a gap in the A-level curriculum which is often exposed in higher education. To find out more click here.
The school and its sixth form has a school roll of approximately 1,700 pupils and has been rated as Outstanding by OFSTED.
Cass Child & Family Centre
In 1989 the Foundation extended its interest into another area of education by creating a nursery centre in the basement of Sir John Cass’s Foundation Primary School. The Foundation generously provided the majority of the initial funding for the architectural plans to be commissioned and for the building work to be undertaken, as well as granting a lease to the City of London Corporation on favourable terms.
The Centre was renamed the Cass Child and Family Centre and continues to thrive. It now combines the Children’s Centre provision for the City of London with the Nursery and Reception classes of Sir John Cass’s Foundation Primary School.
The Child & Family Centre provides full and part time day care for children aged between 12 weeks and 5 years and is open 50 weeks a year from 8am to 6pm.
Cass Business School
In 2002, the Foundation awarded a substantial grant to City University’s Business School, which was re-named the Cass Business School and is based at Bunhill Row near Moorgate. This was opened by H.M. The Queen on the 7th May 2003.
The Foundation’s support has enabled Cass Business School to not only support postgraduate education, but also to manage and develop an undergraduate programme. The Cass Business School is also home to Centre of Charity Effectiveness (Cass CCE), a leading nonprofit and philanthropy Centre in the UK.
An integral part of City University London, The Cass Business School is among the global elite of business schools that hold the gold standard of ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
SEPTEMBER 2015 – SIR JOHN CASS’S FOUNDATION AND CASS BUSINESS SCHOOL CREATE £1 MILLION FUNDING PARTNERSHIP TO DEVELOP UNIQUE SCHOOL ENGAGEMENT PROGRAMME
Deputy Kevin Everett,Treasurer and Chairman, Richard Foley, Chief Executive, John Hall, Acting Chairman of Grants Committee and Sophie Fernandes attended the 50th anniversary celebrations of the establishment of the Cass Business School (formerly City University Business School), on behalf of Sir John Cass’s Foundation. The celebrations were held at the Dorchester Hotel on 30th September 2016, the key note speech was delivered by Muhtar Kent, Chief Executive of The Coca-Cola Company.
Cass Faculty of Art, Architecture and Design
The Cass Faculty of Art, Architecture and Design is an integral part of London Metropolitan University and is simply referred to as The Cass.
The Cass can trace its roots back to the turn of the 20th Century. The Sir John Cass Technical Institute was one of two technical institutes that were established by the Foundation in Aldgate and Hackney respectively. The building in Jewry Street in Aldgate was paid for by the Foundation and was opened in 1902.
In 1950 the Technical Institute became the Sir John Cass College of Arts and Science and in 1970 this merged with the City of London College and the King Edward VII Nautical College to form the City of London Polytechnic. In 1992 this became London Guildhall University before merging with the University of North London to form London Metropolitan University in 2002.
The Foundation granted free use of its Jewry Street building to the City of London Polytechnic and successor organisations between 1970 and 2015 and a named Cass Department or Faculty has existed within the Polytechnic and later the university since 1970 to reflect these historical links.
Today, The Cass is internationally recognised for its high quality teaching, excellent facilities and unique interdisciplinary opportunities. Its many specialist facilities include wood and metal workshops, laboratories, TV and recording studios, editing suites, darkrooms and ‘Metropolitan Works’, The Cass’s digital manufacturing centre.
Sir John Cass Halls of Residence
In 1982, the Foundation provided a number of grants and a loan on favourable terms, as well as granting a peppercorn lease for a period of one hundred years to create the Sir John Cass Halls of Residence in Hackney.
This was initially for students at the then City of London Polytechnic, but since the late 1990s this stipulation has ceased to be applied.
RICHARD FOLEY, CLERK AND CHIEF OFFICER OF SIR JOHN CAS’S FOUNDATION VISITS THE NEWLY REFURBISHED STUDENT ACCOMMODATION IN SIR JOHN CASS HALL
Sir John Cass Hall, has celebrated the opening of a newly refurbished purpose-built building with 132 bedrooms arranged over three floors. The Hall is in Hackney close to Victoria Park.
Sir John Cass’s Foundation, as one of its educational projects, endeavours to support students with affordable accommodation in London and The Hall is right on the doorstep of a number of Universities including Queen Mary University, London Metropolitan University, City University, LSE, King’s College and the University of Westminster, all within a radius of 4.0 miles (6.4k).
Each single study bedroom has its own mini-fridge, washbasin and wireless broadband internet and there are a number of attractive common rooms including a study/studio space for college work as well as a TV room and kitchens with all mod cons.
Excellent transport links and lots to do in the local area make Sir John Cass Hall a great place to live while studying and the Foundation is really pleased with the modern makeover.
Sir John Cass School of Education and Communities
In 2008, the Foundation awarded a substantial grant to the University of East London towards a new state-of-the-art teaching and research centre in Stratford, which was re-named the Sir John Cass School of Education and Communities. This was opened by Mrs Cherie Blair QC on the 8th October 2009.
The Sir John Cass School of Education and Communities is one of London’s foremost centres for teacher training, and importantly in terms of outcomes for the Foundation; many of its alumni are working in schools in east London. The UEL prides itself in world-class research, making them one of the top six modern universities for research in the country.
As well as the Foundation’s own and affiliate organisations (above), we also work with other organisations as project and programme partners – see listing here.