Annual Lecture Publications

The 2017/18 annual lecture, was delivered by The Rt. Hon Ruth Kelly.

“The Importance of education on the life chances of children in care”




Sir John Cass’s Foundation Annual Lecture 10th Anniversary

The Foundation is delighted to announce the 10th anniversary of the Sir John Cass’s Foundation annual lecture. The 2016/17 annual lecture was held on the 28th September 2016 and was delivered by Professor Sir Adrian Smith, Vice-Chancellor of the University of London. The talk was entitled ” The world’s largest classroom –the outreach of the University of London since 1858″. The event was a great success with over 200 people in attendance.

To commemorate this special event the Foundation produced a film celebrating the past ten years of the lecture series. We are indebted to all past speakers and those who have contributed to the film. We would also like to thank Professor Sir Adrian Smith who gave the 10th annual lecture on 28th September 2016.

The 2016/17 annual lecture, was delivered by Professor Sir Adrian Smith FRS.

“The world’s largest classroom –the outreach of the University of London since 1858”

Download >



The 2015/16 annual lecture, held at Cass Business School, was delivered by Lord Baker.

“‘The Intelligent Hand – how we can solve the problem of people without jobs and jobs without people.”

Download >



lecture2014_large_thumb2Mr Martin Bean – Vice-Chancellor of the Open University – Cass Lecture 2014

“The tyranny of conventional wisdom” … (Lecture information and PDF download link will be made available as soon as possible following this year’s lecture).

Download >



lecture2013The Lord-Hennessy of Nympsfield – Cass Lecture 2013

“It is a great pleasure and a true honour to deliver the Sir John Cass Foundation Lecture for 2013. The Foundation has been a good and generous friend to the Mile End Group at my home institution, Queen Mary, and Kevin and the team are always fine and stimulating company on every occasion we meet at the Foundation or down the Mile End Road.” …

Download >


Click to Download

The Rt Hon Dr Vince Cable – Cass Lecture 2012

“In just ten years, the school has established a global reputation for the quality of its teaching and research. Earlier this month, the Economist ranked the full-time MBA programme the third best in the UK and ninth best in Europe. It is an outstanding achievement” …

Download >



Click to DownloadKatharine Birbalsingh – Cass Lecture 2011

This year the Sir John Cass’s Foundation Lecture was delivered by Katharine Birbalsingh, the former Deputy Head of St Michael and All Angels Church of England Academy in London, who later went on to speak at the Conservative Party Conference in 2010 …

Download >



Click to DownloadDr Anthony Seldon – Cass Lecture 2010

This year the Sir John Cass’s Foundation Lecture was delivered by Dr Anthony Seldon, the Master of Wellington College. It was entitled ‘Why Schools, Why Universities’ …

Download >



Click to DownloadMichael Gove MP  – Cass Lecture 2009

“The child is the father of the man, William Wordsworth, wrote. And the place where I first heard those lines, and that name, is the place where I grew as a child into manhood and the place that influenced me more than any other – my school” ….

Download >



lecture_2008_thumb_pdfRt Hon Ed Balls MP – Cass Lecture 2008

Guaranteeing a Good School for all. It’s a great privilege for me to be here this evening, to give this lecture in honour of Sir John Cass – who founded the Foundation that now supports primary schools, secondary schools, Academies and universities across London…

Download >



lecture_2007_thumb_pdfAndrew Adonis – Cass Lecture 2007

I want today to set out an 80% vision for English education by 2020. A generation ago we had a 20% education system. The top 20 per cent or so of teenagers gained good school leaving qualifications, with fewer than one in ten going on to higher education; the other 80 per cent left school with only a basic education and few qualifications ….

Download >